(Click image to make it bigger!)
The NFL Draft is officially over! The football stars of tomorrow have all been picked!
In the end, it was Geoffrey D. that came out on top! He predicted his way past even the experts to win the tournament! Jonathan Adams from Heavy.com put up a good fight, and came in second in accuracy, but Geoffrey beat him by a slim margin. What are your secrets, Geoff?!
All of that being said, there were 3 surprising results!
1) Though Geoffrey and Jonathan predicted correctly that the position of this year’s Mr. Irrelevant would be “Other,” only 4.9% of all Futurists were right along with them! Most Futurists (57.3% of them) thought that he’d be a Running Back! That would have been the right answer…had the draft ended at the second-to-last pick!
2) Only 1 Futurist predicted 0 for the 40-yard dash time! Were they just lucky? The 5th pick of round 4 was Eddie Jackson, but since he was recovering from a broken leg, he didn’t run the 40-yard dash during the Scouting Combine!
3) This year’s NFL draft set a record for most defensive backs ever picked. Just over 20 percent of all drafted players were in defensive positions! To be fair, most people thought the number of defensive players picked would be high, but not quite THAT high!
Thanks to everyone who played the tournament, see you in the Future! 😉
[April 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM ET]
Here’s the updated PTF Player predictions! It looks like our Futurists are taking the experts’ advice!
[April 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM ET]
It’s the moment you have been waiting for: the expert predictions ARE IN! If you’re clueless about football, their expert insights should help. Be warned though, most of them disagree with each other. 😉 Who’s predictions will you base yours off of?
We also have some more help for you if you’re creating fantasy draft picks! Gary McKenzie, M.C.S. in Sports Data Science, has shared his first 10 draft picks with us.
1) Browns – Myles Garrett
2) 49ers – Solomon Thomas
3) Bears – Marshon Lattimore
4) Jaguars – OJ Howard
5) Titans – Reuben Foster
6) Jets – Mitch Trubisky
7) Chargers – Jamal Adams
8) Panthers – Leonard Fournette
9) Bengals – Derek Barnett
10) Bills – Corey Davis
Agree/disagree? Let us know!
[April 19, 2017 at 10:00 AM ET]
Welcome to “Forecast the NFL Draft,” Play The Future’s tournament about top picks and rankings that will result in top pickers and rankings.
Ten future-oriented questions about the future orientation of the NFL, everything from how many trades in the first round to the position played by the draft’s unenviable Mr. Irrelevant. Our #1 finisher gets a $50 Sports Gift Card, with #2-10 getting $25. #11 gets a “better luck next time” 😉
You don’t have to be a football fan to “Forecast the NFL Draft,” but it sure helps, as we’ve assembled five experts guaranteed to strike fear into the smartest and swiftest player lining up against them. In addition to PTF players everywhere, you’re also taking on:
•Jonathan Adams, Heavy.com’s sports heavyweight, a graduate of UCF with a masters in Sports Business Management and a long career in multiple positions throughout the sports world.
•Mike Fanning, sports analytics specialist and adjunct lecturer in Georgetown University’s Sports Industry Management graduate program, his alma mater where he–of course–played football.
•Gary McKenzie, who earned a master’s degree in computer science with his thesis “Data Analytics in Sports: Improving the Accuracy of NFL Draft Selection Using Supervised Learning.” Yikes!
•Aaron Schatz, Compared to baseball analytics pioneer Bill James by the New York Times Magazine, he’s the creator of Football Outsiders and most of its advanced metrics for analyzing the NFL. Also a contributing writer to ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine.
•Michael Band, the Director of Analytics for RosterWatch.com, and a former NFL Scout with the Minnesota Vikings from 2011-2012.
Forecast the NFL Draft. Now until April 26th. Only on Play The Future…and in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.